“The Mortar can mow down hordes of enemies by the splash damage from its shell. Don’t let enemies get too close to it!”
Clash of Clans Mortar Summary
- The Motar is unlocked at Town Hall 3
- Mortars shoot long-range explosive shells every 5 seconds which deal devastating splash damage to every unit within a small radius of the impact point. Their splash damage, combined with their long range, make them deadly weapons against large groups of weaker enemies such as Barbarians, Archers, or Goblins.
- Mortars are the player’s heavy defenses. Whenever an enemy comes into range, it blasts out an explosive shell with a low frequency “ping”.
- Mortars cannot target air troops.
- Because it takes a while for a Mortar’s shell to reach its target (over a second at maximum range), fast troops like Goblins can easily dodge its attack if they are moving when the Mortar fires.
- A mortar’s major disadvantages are its inability to attack troops within 4 tiles, its low rate of fire and low DPS which makes them less effective against high-health troops.
Clash of Clans Mortar Defensive Strategy
- Mortars work best when placed towards the center of your base, preferably behind at least one set of Walls. Its long range allows the Mortar to attack from far behind other structures. This also makes it harder for troops to enter the close proximity where it can not attack.
- It is smart to form a triangle or square with the position of your Mortars. This allows multiple Mortars to attack the same area.
- At each level, the Mortar can kill a same-level Archer in a single shot. (A level 1 mortar can one-shot kill a level 1 Archers, level 2 can one-shot kill a level 2 Archers, etc. )
- Putting a Mortar and Wizard Tower together makes a smart pair. The Mortar covers a large area while the Wizard Tower helps protect the Mortar from mass air troops and covers the Mortar’s blind spot.
- It is a good idea to place Mortars near each other, without putting them in the same wall pocket (if possible). When more than one Mortars’ range overlaps, it creates a kill-zone where almost no ground troops can survive.
- Take care when upgrading, as many players use this as a chance to attack. For this reason it is a good idea to only upgrade one Mortar at a time. However, upgrading all of them at once is also viable, as it gets the upgrades out of the way quickly, leaving you more time to benefit from all Mortars being online and maxed out at your current Town Hall level.
Clash of Clans Mortar Offensive Strategy
- The Mortar’s relatively low hitpoints makes it very vulnerable to Giants and Lightning Spells. It takes only a pair of appropriately-leveled Lightning spells to take out any Mortar.
- The Mortar’s blind spot, low rate of fire and inability to target air troops makes them vulnerable to a wide variety of different attacks. Fast melee troops such as Barbarians or Goblins (after all resource structures are destroyed) can rush to the Mortar and quickly enter its blind spot.
- Archers will always stop and begin firing at a Mortar before they enter its blind spot, so pairing them with a meatshield is ideal.
- When deploying troops, avoid deploying low hitpoint ground troops in clumps. The Mortar does heavy splash damage unless a Healing Spell is in hand.
- A Mortar’s inability to target air troops makes them easy targets for Balloons, Dragons and Minions if they are not protected by Air Defenses.
Clash of Clans Mortar Upgrade Differences
- When initially constructed, the Mortar consists of a solid black launcher tube with two half-disc gimbals on each side. It fires a gray stone shell.
- At level 2 and 3 Mortars grow larger and sport an increasingly wider gold trim on the outer rim of the tube.
- At level 4, the Mortar’s gimbals change to a bright golden color, and it sports a wider, pitted ring of gold trim. Its shell changes to a black stone.
- At level 5, the Mortars gold rim reaches its greatest width.
- At level 6, the Mortar’s tube turns entirely golden. Its shell becomes a golden fiery ball.
- At level 7, the Mortar’s tube reverts to black with golden trim, but acquires a skull on each gimbal (which turn black as well) and bone fragments on the ground in front of it.
- At level 8, the Mortar’s color is metallic, and the inside of the tube becomes glowing with what appears to be lava. The golden fiery ball becomes noticeably larger. The gimbal of the mortar becomes larger in a somewhat trapezoid shape. Spikes appear on the ring around the top of the mortar.
Clash of Clans Mortar Statistics
|Town Hall Level||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10|
|Level||Damage Per Second||Damage per Shot||Hitpoints||Cost||Build Time||Experience Gained||Town Hall Level Required|
|Range||Attack Speed||Damage Type||Unit Type Targeted||Size|
|4-11||5s||Splash – 1.5 tiles||Ground||3×3 tiles|