“This anti-air tower is deadly against flying enemies, but can’t target foes on the ground. Place it wisely to cover as much airspace as possible.”
Clash of Clans Air Defense Summary
- The Air Defense is unlocked at Town Hall 4
- Air Defenses are also known in short form as AD or ADs.
- Air Defense is has a very high damage-per-second that only defends against flying units.
- Air Defenses can target and shoot one air troop at a time.
- It will lock on to a target and keep firing at the same target until it has been destroyed.
- It cannot attack ground units or interfere with them in any way other than possibly distracting ground units from attacking other structures.
Clash of Clans Air Defense Defensive Strategy
- The Air Defense has very good range and a very high damage per shot. It is best to position them so that they cover as much area as possible.
- A common strategy for Town Hall 8 and above is to position them in a spread out triangle formation (or diamond, once the fourth Air Defense is available) around the Town Hall.
- If possible, keep your Air Defenses behind your first lines of defense (e.g. Cannons and Archer Towers). Ideally there will be a Wall in between. This will prevent Giants or Golems from quickly destroying the Air Defense and allowing a Healer to be deployed early in the battle. The longer it takes the Giants to destroy the Air Defense, the more time your defenses will have to thin out your opponents troops before a Healer can be safely deployed.
- The Air Defense is a popular first target for armies using ground troops, as they are one of only two defensive structures that cannot target them (the other being the Air Sweeper). It is important that they are defended well and they will help to keep the skies clear from Balloons, Dragons, Healers, Lava Hounds and Minions.
- Air Defenses are there for when Archer Towers and Wizard Towers are distracted by ground units.
- Lava Hounds target Air Defenses first, so make sure you defend it well with other defenses which target air troops or by placing Seeking Air Mines just outside the Air Defenses to reduce the hit points of the Lava Hound.
Clash of Clans Air Defense Offensive Strategy
- If you’re doing an air attack, it’s important to find a way to destroy Air Defenses as quickly and as early in the battle as possible.
- Town Hall 7 typically use 3 Lightning Spells to destroy one Air Defenses and use mass Dragons to attack from the side of the remaining Air Defense.
- Healers are very vulnerable to the Air Defense. Destroying Air Defense with Giants before deploying her is recommended. They are easily destroyed by any ground-based troop, as they cannot fight back.
- It is important to keep Balloons away from Air Defenses, as they are capable of destroying most Balloons in one or two hits from a great distance.
- If an Air Defenses is close to the edge of the base, a few Level 6 Balloons along with a Rage Spell is a great way of quickly and efficiently destroying an Air Defense.
- Air Defenses are quite effective against Dragons, but it is possible to keep an Air Defense occupied with a one or two Dragons to tank for a fleet of Balloons to quickly destroy a majority of the ground defenses.
- A great way to overwhelm the Air Defense is by using a large group of Minions since the Air Defense can only target one air unit at a time. The only issue with this strategy is Minions in a large group are vulnerable to Air Bombs.
Clash of Clans Air Defense Upgrade Differences
- When initially constructed, the Air Defense consists of a single wooden launch tube with a single red-and-black rocket. The launch tube is banded with metal.
- At levels 2 and 3, an additional red-and-black rocket is added to the launcher.
- At level 4, a second wooden launch tube is added, with two rockets in each tube. The rockets change from red and black to red and yellow while also acquiring caps that are yellow and black.
- At level 5, the Air Defense adds a fifth rocket to one of the launchers.
- At level 6, the Air Defense adds a third wooden launch tube with 2 rockets in each tube.
- At level 7, the three launch tubes are replaced with a single large wooden launcher with five rockets in it.
- At level 8, the Air Defense’s launcher receives a coat of red paint, along with dark metal bands and golden rivets. It is filled with four large, black-tipped rockets that are painted in a yellow and black chessboard pattern, similar to that seen on the V-2 Rocket.
Clash of Clans Air Defense Statistics
|Town Hall Level||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10|
|Level||Damage Per Second||Damage per Shot||Hitpoints||Cost||Build Time||Experience Gained||Town Hall Level Required|
|Range||Attack Speed||Damage Type||Unit Type Targeted||Size|
|10||1s||Single Target||Air||3×3 tiles|